Midwest EE Conference Accessibility and Inclusion: Agreements and Recommendations
Before this conference begins, we want to put forward an invitation and invocation so that everyone can come to this conference as comfortable as possible in themselves, in their bodies, in their minds, and in the needs that they carry with them. So often we are expected to believe that there is only one right way to exist in a space. Let us use this conference as an opportunity to listen to our fellow community members and ourselves to create an inclusive experience with many right ways of existing.
– Modified Language from Lydia X.Z. Brown’s Accessibility Statement.
- WAEE recognizes that accessibility requires intentional community effort and we agree to work with you on inclusion! Rachael is happy to discuss ideas, questions and concerns and can be reached at email@example.com
- WAEE agrees to hold zoom meetings leading up to the conference so that people can discuss inclusion, ask questions and receive support as needed. Time to be announced.
- WAEE agrees, to the best of our ability, to borrow or purchase accessibility aids before the conference to be used by attendees. These may include things such as portable microphones for presenters, camp chairs/hiking sticks for outdoor presentations, and medical grade face masks. More details to come as we arrange these supports and more!
If you are using a presentation during your presentation, you agree to make it accessible by following best practices, enabling closed captions in Ggoogle Slides or PowerPoint and presenting it in an accessible way.
During your presentation, you agree to work towards inclusion with your participants by starting with access check-in. Some things that may come up include staying on paved trails if going outside, turning off fluorescent lights, and allowing people to use technology during your presentation.
You also agree to work on incorporating different learning styles into your presentation . For example: hands on activities for kinesthetic learners, PowerPoint/flyers for visual learners, etc.
Field Trip Hosts:
We recognize that not every field trip can be accessible, but by making more information available, conference attendees can choose to attend field trips that are accessible to them.
Please consider if your website has enough public information available on accessibility and if that information includes the accessibility of both indoor and outdoor spaces. If you do not have enough information available, one resource that we recommend is the Birdability site assessment.
Please consider having your field trip hosted by multiple people so you can break into smaller groups as necessary to meet the needs of your participants.
Thank you for centering your wellness and safety needs, and those of your professional community throughout MEEC 2023. In doing so, WAEE asks for everyone to uplift one another and practice the following:
- You are welcome to attend in-person events at MEEC 2023 if you have not tested positive for COVID-19, the flu, or RSV for at least 14 days prior to the start of MEEC 2023.
- Wisconsin Medical Supplies has generously donated 1,000 4-ply adult size medical grade masks for MEEC 2023 conference goers to wear during in-person events. Masks will be available at WAEE’s Registration table throughout MEEC 2023.
- Please wear a mask during in-person events if:
- You are immunocompromised and/or need to wear a mask.
- You are not vaccinated against COVID-19.
- You are experiencing any of the following symptoms associated with COVID-19 (and are testing negative): fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea.
- WAEE will NOT be providing rapid antigen testing for covid during MEEC 2023. Conference goers are recommended to bring their own rapid antigen test kits.
- If you are registered and/or scheduled to present during MEEC 2023, and you test positive for COVID-19, the flu, or RSV 14 days or less prior to the start of MEEC 2023, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. DO NOT ATTEND MEEC 2023. WAEE will refund 100% of your conference ticket expense. Please contact Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center at 608-781-3060 if you need to cancel hotel reservations.
- In need of clarification? Please contact email@example.com